The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
September 29, 2014 (Issue: 1452)
- NB Watts et al. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists medical guidelines for clinical practice for the diagnosis and treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Endocr Pract 2010; suppl 3:1.
- National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician's guide to prevention and treatment of osteoporosis; 2014 issue, version 1. Available at: http://nof.org/hcp/clinicians-guide. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- FRAX. WHO Fracture Risk Assessment Tool. Available at www. shef.ac.uk/FRAX/tool. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- DC Bauer. Calcium supplements and fracture prevention. N Engl J Med 2013; 369:1537.
- M Chung et al. Vitamin D with or without calcium supplementation for prevention of cancer and fractures: an updated meta-analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 2011; 155:827.
- HA Bischoff-Ferrari et al. A pooled analysis of vitamin D dose requirements for fracture prevention. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:40.
- A Avenell et al. Vitamin D and vitamin D analogues for preventing fractures in post-menopausal women and older men. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014 April 14; 4:CD000227.
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Available at http://www.iom.edu. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- RB Wallace et al. Urinary tract stone occurrence in the Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) randomized clinical trial of calcium and vitamin D supplements. Am J Clin Nutr 2011; 94:270.
- K Li et al. Associations of dietary calcium intake and calcium supplementation with myocardial infarction and stroke risk and overall cardiovascular mortality in the Heidelberg cohort of the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study (EPIC-Heidelberg). Heart 2012; 98:920.
- IR Reid. Cardiovascular effects of calcium supplements. Nutrients 2013; 5:2522.
- RL Prentice et al. Health risks and benefits from calcium and vitamin D supplementation: Women’s Health Initiative clinical trial and cohort study. Osteoporosis Int 2013; 24:567.
- JA Eisman et al. Efficacy and tolerability of intravenous ibandronate injections in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 2-year results from the DIVA study. J Rheumatol 2008; 35:488.
- A once-yearly IV bisphosphonate for osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2007; 49:89.
- DM Black et al. The effect of 3 versus 6 years of zoledronic acid treatment of osteoporosis: a randomized extension to the HORIZON-Pivotal Fracture Trial (PFT). J Bone Min Res 2012; 27:243.
- DM Black et al. Once-yearly zoledronic acid for treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2007; 356:1809.
- DK Wysowski and JT Chang. Alendronate and risedronate: reports of severe bone, joint, and muscle pain. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165:346.
- M Pazianas et al. Inflammatory eye reactions in patients treated with bisphosphonates and other osteoporosis medications: cohort analysis using a national prescription database. J Bone Miner Res. 2013; 28:455.
- S Fedele et al. Nonexposed variant of bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw: a case series. Am J Med 2010; 123:1060.
- FDA drug safety communication: new contraindication and updated warning on kidney impairment for Reclast (zoledronic acid). Available at www.fda.gov. Accessed September 18, 2014.
- Y Vinogradova et al. Exposure to bisphosphonates and risk of gastrointestinal cancers: series of nested case-control studies with QResearch and CPRD data. BMJ 2013; 346:f114.
- J Schilcher et al. Bisphosphonate use and atypical fractures of the femoral shaft. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1728.
- LY Park-Wyllie et al. Bisphosphonate use and the risk of subtrochanteric or femoral shaft fractures in older women. JAMA 2011; 305:783.
- RM Dell et al. Incidence of atypical nontraumatic diaphyseal fractures of the femur. J Bone Miner Res 2012; 27:2544.
- DM Black et al. Effects of continuing or stopping alendronate after 5 years of treatment: the Fracture Intervention Trial Long-term Extension (FLEX): a randomized trial. JAMA 2006; 296:2927.
- J Compston et al. Diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and older men in the UK: National Osteoporosis Guideline Group (NOGG) update 2013; Maturitas 2013; 75:392.
- Denosumab (Prolia) for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2010; 52:81.
- SR Cummings et al. Denosumab for prevention of fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 2009; 361:756.
- HG Bone et al. Effects of denosumab treatment and discontinuation on bone mineral density and bone tumor markers in postmenopausal women with low bone mass. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96:972.
- JS Finkelstein et al. Effects of teriparatide retreatment in osteoporotic men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94:2495.
- EB Andrews et al. The US postmarketing surveillance study of adult osteosarcoma and teriparatide: study design and findings from the first 7 years. Bone Miner Res. 2012; 27:2429.
- KE Ensrud et al. Effects of raloxifene on fracture risk in postmenopausal women: the Raloxifene Use for the Heart Trial. J Bone Miner Res 2008; 23:112.
- Conjugated estrogens/bazedoxifene (Duavee) for menopausal symptoms and prevention of osteoporosis. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:33.
- JA Knopp-Sihota et al. Calcitonin for treating acute and chronic pain of recent and remote osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Osteoporos Int 2012; 23:17.
- In brief: cancer risk with salmon calcitonin. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:29.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.