The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Onzetra Xsail - Sumatriptan Nasal Powder
July 18, 2016 (Issue: 1499)The FDA has approved Onzetra Xsail (Avanir), a nasal powder formulation of sumatriptan, for acute treatment of migraine in adults. Nasal spray formulations of sumatriptan (Imitrex) and zolmitriptan (Zomig) have been available for many...more
- Drugs for migraine. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2013; 11:107.
- CJ Derry et al. Sumatriptan (all routes of administration) for acute migraine attacks in adults – overview of Cochrane reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 5:CD009108.
- SD Silberstein and DA Marcus. Sumatriptan: treatment across the full spectrum of migraine. Expert Opin Pharmacother 2013; 14:1659.
- M Obaidi et al. Improved pharmacokinetics of sumatriptan with breath powered nasal delivery of sumatriptan powder. Headache 2013; 53:1323.
- RK Cady et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of breath powered nasal delivery of sumatriptan powder (AVP-825) in the treatment of acute migraine (The TARGET Study). Headache 2015; 55:88.
- SJ Tepper et al. AVP-825 breath-powered intranasal delivery system containing 22 mg sumatriptan powder vs 100 mg oral sumatriptan in the acute treatment of migraines (the COMPASS study): a comparative randomized clinical trial across multiple attacks. Headache 2015; 55:621.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.