The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
December 17, 2018
Drugs for Chronic Insomnia
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Chronic Insomnia
December 17, 2018 (Issue: 1562)
- A Qaseem et al. Management of chronic insomnia disorder in adults: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians. Ann Intern Med 2016; 165:125.
- DJ Buysse et al. Clinical management of insomnia disorder. JAMA 2017; 318:1973.
- MJ Sateia et al. Clinical practice guideline for the pharmacologic treatment of chronic insomnia in adults: an American Academy of Sleep Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Sleep Med 2017; 13:307.
- Low-dose sublingual zolpidem (Intermezzo) for insomnia due to middle-of-the-night awakening. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:25.
- FDA requires lower dosing of zolpidem. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:5.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA approves new label changes and dosing for zolpidem products and a recommendation to avoid driving the day after using Ambien CR. Available at: www.fda.gov. Accessed December 6, 2018.
- In brief: lowering the dose of Lunesta. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:48.
- N Gunja. In the Zzz zone: the effects of Z-drugs on human performance and driving. J Med Toxicol 2013; 9:163.
- N Gunja. The clinical and forensic toxicology of Z-drugs. J Med Toxicol 2013; 9:155.
- JS Poceta. Zolpidem ingestion, automatisms, and sleep driving: a clinical and legal case series. J Clin Sleep Med 2011; 7:632.
- DF Kripke et al. Hypnotics' association with mortality or cancer: a matched cohort study. BMJ Open 2012; 2:e000850.
- SC Lin et al. Zolpidem increased cancer risk in patients with sleep disorder: a 3-year follow-up study. J Med Sci 2016; 36:68.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017 September 18 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- BN Wikner et al. Use of benzodiazepines and benzodiazepine receptor agonists during pregnancy: neonatal outcome and congenital malformations. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2007; 16:1203.
- MJ Rapoport et al. Benzodiazepine use and driving: a meta-analysis. J Clin Psychiatry 2009; 70:663.
- B Albrecht et al. Benzodiazepine use and aggressive behaviour: a systematic review. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2014; 48:1096.
- I Hernandez. Exposure-response association between concurrent opioid and benzodiazepine use and risk of opioid-related overdose in Medicare Part D beneficiaries. JAMA Network Open 2018; 1:e180919.
- ACOG Practice Bulletin: clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynecologists number 92, April 2008 (replaces Practice Bulletin number 87, November 2007). Use of psychiatric medications during pregnancy and lactation. Obstet Gynecol 2008; 111:1001.
- A Kuriyama et al. Ramelteon for the treatment of insomnia in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Med 2014; 15:385.
- AD Krystal et al. Efficacy and safety of doxepin 3 and 6 mg in a 35-day sleep laboratory trial in adults with chronic primary insomnia. Sleep 2011; 34:1433.
- JM Uslaner et al. Orexin receptor antagonists differ from standard sleep drugs by promoting sleep at doses that do not disrupt cognition. Sci Transl Med 2013; 5:179ra44.
- Suvorexant (Belsomra) for insomnia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:29.
- A Kuriyama and H Tabata. Suvorexant for the treatment of primary insomnia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Med Rev 2017; 35:1.
- H Sun et al. Effects of suvorexant, an orexin receptor antagonist, on breathing during sleep in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Respir Med 2015; 109:416.
- MH Wiegand. Antidepressants for the treatment of insomnia: a suitable approach? Drugs 2008; 68:2411.
- WB Mendelson. A review of the evidence for the efficacy and safety of trazodone in insomnia. J Clin Psychiatry 2005; 66:469.
- ED Hermes et al. Use of second-generation antipsychotic agents for sleep and sedation: a provider survey. Sleep 2013; 36:597.
- SL Anderson and JP Vande Griend. Quetiapine for insomnia: a review of the literature. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2014; 71:394.
- T Atkin et al. Drugs for insomnia beyond benzodiazepines: pharmacology, clinical application, and discovery. Pharmacol Rev 2018; 70:197.
- C Fox et al. Anticholinergic medication use and cognitive impairment in the older population: the medical research council cognitive function and ageing study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2011; 59:1477.
- AG Wade et al. Nightly treatment of primary insomnia with prolonged release melatonin for 6 months: a randomized placebo controlled trial on age and endogenous melatonin as predictors of efficacy and safety. BMC Med 2010; 8:51.
- DM Taibi et al. A systematic review of valerian as a sleep aid: safe but not effective. Sleep Med Rev 2007; 11:209.
- J Sarris and GJ Byrne. A systematic review of insomnia and complementary medicine. Sleep Med Rev 2011; 15:99.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.