The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Hypertension
May 18, 2020 (Issue: 1598)Drugs available for treatment of chronic hypertension and their dosages, adverse effects, and costs are listed in the tables. Treatment of hypertensive urgencies and emergencies is not discussed here.
- FM Sacks et al. Effects on blood pressure of reduced dietary sodium and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. N Engl J Med 2001; 344:3.
- D Mozaffarian et al. Global sodium consumption and death from cardiovascular causes. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:624.
- M Roerecke et al. The effect of a reduction in alcohol consumption on blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Public Health 2017; 2:e108.
- SP Whelton et al. Effect of aerobic exercise on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized, controlled trials. Ann Intern Med 2002; 136:493.
- JD Inder et al. Isometric exercise training for blood pressure management: a systematic review and meta-analysis to optimize benefit. Hypertens Res 2016; 39:88.
- JE Neter et al. Influence of weight reduction on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Hypertension 2003; 42:878.
- PK Whelton et al. Effects of oral potassium on blood pressure. Meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. JAMA 1997; 277:1624.
- PK Whelton et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2018; 71:2199.
- American College of Cardiology. ASCVD risk estimator plus. Available at: http://tools.acc.org/ASCVD-Risk-Estimator-Plus. Accessed May 7, 2020.
- JT Wright Jr et al. ALLHAT findings revisited in the context of subsequent analyses, other trials, and meta-analyses. Arch Intern Med 2009; 169:832.
- GC Roush et al. Diuretics: a review and update. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 2014; 19:5.
- G Hripcsak et al. Comparison of cardiovascular and safety outcomes of chlorthalidone vs hydrochlorothiazide to treat hypertension. JAMA Intern Med 2020; 180:542.
- Sulfonamide cross-reactivity. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:44.
- DA Calhoun et al. Refractory hypertension: determination of prevalence, risk factors, and comorbidities in a large, population-based cohort. Hypertension 2014; 63:451.
- DA Calhoun and WB White. Effectiveness of the selective aldosterone blocker, eplerenone, in patients with resistant hypertension. J Am Soc Hypertens 2008; 2:462.
- Drugs for chronic heart failure. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:49.
- Aliskiren (Tekturna) for hypertension. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2007; 49:29.
- K Jamerson et al. Benazepril plus amlodipine or hydrochlorothiazide for hypertension in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:2417.
- WH Frishman and E Saunders. ß-adrenergic blockers. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2011; 13:649.
- CS Wiysonge et al. Beta-blockers for hypertension. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 1:CD002003.
- GL Bakris et al. Metabolic effects of carvedilol vs metoprolol in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and hypertension: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 292:2227.
- Nebivolol (Bystolic) for hypertension. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:17.
- J Fongemie and E Felix-Getzik. A review of nebivolol pharmacology and clinical evidence. Drugs 2015; 75:1349.
- ALLHAT Collaborative Research Group. Major cardiovascular events in hypertensive patients randomized to doxazosin vs chlorthalidone: the antihypertensive and lipid-lowering treatment to prevent heart attack trial (ALLHAT). JAMA 2000; 283:1967.
- MY Yakoob et al. The risk of congenital malformations associated with exposure to β-blockers early in pregnancy: a meta-analysis. Hypertension 2013; 62:375.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.