The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
October 5, 2020
Drugs for Migraine
|Subscribers: Log in to read full article. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase article.|
Drugs for Migraine
October 5, 2020 (Issue: 1608)An oral nonopioid analgesic is often sufficient for acute treatment of mild to moderate migraine headache without severe nausea or vomiting. A triptan is the drug of choice for treatment of moderate to severe migraine headache pain in most...more
- American Headache Society. The American Headache Society position statement on integrating new migraine treatments into clinical practice. Headache 2019; 59:1.
- M Oskoui et al. Practice guideline update summary: acute treatment of migraine in children and adolescents: report of the guideline development, dissemination, and implementation subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Headache Society. Neurology 2019; 93:487.
- MJ Prior et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of acetaminophen for treatment of migraine headache. Headache 2010; 50:819.
- CC Suthisisang et al. Meta-analysis of the efficacy and safety of naproxen sodium in the acute treatment of migraine. Headache 2010; 50:808.
- C Suthisisang et al. Efficacy of low-dose ibuprofen in acute migraine treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Pharmacother 2007; 41:1782.
- C Chen et al. Differential pharmacokinetics of diclofenac potassium for oral solution vs immediate-release tablets from a randomized trial: effect of fed and fasting conditions. Headache 2015; 55:265.
- MM Johnston and AM Rapoport. Triptans for the management of migraine. Drugs 2010; 70:1505.
- Onzetra Xsail - sumatriptan nasal powder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:92.
- CJ Derry et al. Sumatriptan (all routes of administration) for acute migraine attacks in adults – overview of Cochrane reviews. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 5:CD009108.
- S Law et al. Sumatriptan plus naproxen for the treatment of acute migraine attacks in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 4:CD008541.
- G Roberto et al. Triptans and serious adverse vascular events: data mining of the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System database. Cephalalgia 2014; 34:5.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020 September 10 (epub). Available at: http://secure.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- RG Wenzel et al. Serotonin syndrome risks when combining SSRI/SNRI drugs with triptans: is the FDA’s alert warranted? Ann Pharmacother 2008; 42:1692.
- Y Orlova et al. Association of coprescription of triptan antimigraine drugs and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor or selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor antidepressants with serotonin syndrome. JAMA Neurol 2018; 75:566.
- K Nezvalová-Henriksen et al. Triptan safety during pregnancy: a Norwegian population registry study. Eur J Epidemiol 2013; 28:759.
- US National Library of Medicine. Drugs and Lactation Data-base (LactMed). Available at: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK501922/. Accessed September 24, 2020.
- AD Hershey. CGRP – the next frontier for migraine. N Engl J Med 2017; 377:2190.
- Lasmiditan (Reyvow) and ubrogepant (Ubrelvy) for acute treatment of migraine. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:35.
- Rimegepant (Nurtec ODT) for acute treatment of migraine. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:70.
- MJA Láinez et al. Crossover, double-blind clinical trial comparing almotriptan and ergotamine plus caffeine for acute migraine therapy. Eur J Neurol 2007; 14:269.
- SD Silberstein et al. Dihydroergotamine (DHE) – then and now: a narrative review. Headache 2020; 60:40.
- MJ Marmura et al. The acute treatment of migraine in adults: the American Headache Society evidence assessment of migraine pharmacotherapies. Headache 2015; 55:3.
- RB Lipton et al. Single-pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation for acute treatment of migraine with aura: a randomised, double-blind, parallel-group, sham-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9:373.
- D Yarnitsky et al. Remote electrical neuromodulation (REN) relieves acute migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. Headache 2019; 59:1240.
- DE Chou et al. Acute migraine therapy with external trigeminal neurostimulation (ACME): a randomized controlled trial. Cephalalgia 2019; 39:3.
- C Tassorelli et al. Noninvasive vagus nerve stimulation as acute therapy for migraine: the randomized PRESTO study. Neurology 2018; 91:e364.
- JR Saper and AN Da Silva. Medication overuse headache: history, features, prevention and management strategies. CNS Drugs 2013; 27:867.
- T Pringsheim et al. Acute treatment and prevention of menstrually related migraine headache: evidence-based review. Neurology 2008; 70:1555.
- EA MacGregor et al. Safety and tolerability of frovatriptan in the acute treatment of migraine and prevention of menstrual migraine: results of a new analysis of data from five previously published studies. Gend Med 2010; 7:88.
- WM Mulleners et al. Antiepileptics in migraine prophylaxis: an updated Cochrane review. Cephalalgia 2015; 35:51.
- H-C Diener et al. Topiramate in migraine prophylaxis–results from a placebo-controlled trial with propranolol as an active control. J Neurol 2004; 251:943.
- F Ashtari et al. A double-blind, randomized trial of low-dose topiramate vs propranolol in migraine prophylaxis. Acta Neurol Scand 2008; 118:301.
- S Silberstein et al. Topiramate treatment of chronic migraine: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of quality of life and other efficacy measures. Headache 2009; 49:1153.
- H-C Diener et al. Topiramate reduces headache days in chronic migraine: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Cephalalgia 2007; 27:814.
- SW Powers et al. Trial of amitriptyline, topiramate, and placebo for pediatric migraine. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:115.
- In brief: Warning against use of valproate for migraine prevention during pregnancy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:45.
- J Weston et al. Monotherapy treatment of epilepsy in pregnancy: congenital malformation outcomes in the child. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 11:CD010224.
- DW Dodick et al. Topiramate versus amitriptyline in migraine prevention: a 26-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, parallel-group noninferiority trial in adult migraineurs. Clin Ther 2009; 31:542.
- S Tarlaci. Escitalopram and venlafaxine for the prophylaxis of migraine headache without mood disorders. Clin Neuropharmacol 2009; 32:254.
- WB Young et al. Duloxetine prophylaxis for episodic migraine in persons without depression: a prospective study. Headache 2013; 53:1430.
- Erenumab (Aimovig) for migraine prevention. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:101.
- Fremanezumab (Ajovy) and galcanezumab (Emgality) for migraine prevention. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:177.
- Eptinezumab (Vyepti) for migraine prevention. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:85.
- A Scheffler et al. Erenumab in highly therapy-refractory migraine patients: first German real-world evidence. J Headache Pain 2020; 21:84.
- MD Ferrari et al. Fremanezumab versus placebo for migraine prevention in patients with documented failure to up to four migraine preventive medication classes (FOCUS): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3b trial. Lancet 2019; 394:1030.
- WM Mulleners et al. Safety and efficacy of galcanezumab in patients for whom previous migraine preventive medication from two to four categories had failed (CONQUER): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3b trial. Lancet Neurol 2020; 19:814.
- JM Pavlovic et al. Efficacy and safety of erenumab in women with a history of menstrual migraine. J Headache Pain 2020; 21:95.
- In brief: Erenumab (Aimovig) hypersensitivity. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:48.
- Botulinum toxin for chronic migraine. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:7.
- S Holland et al. Evidence-based guideline update: NSAIDs and other complementary treatments for episodic migraine prevention in adults: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Headache Society. Neurology 2012; 78:1346.
- BJ Gales et al. Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers for the prevention of migraines. Ann Pharmacother 2010; 44:360.
- LJ Stovner et al. A comparative study of candesartan versus propranolol for migraine prophylaxis: a randomised, triple-blind, placebo-controlled, double cross-over study. Cephalalgia 2014; 34:523.
- JL Jackson et al. A comparative effectiveness meta-analysis of drugs for the prophylaxis of migraine headache. PLoS One 2015; 10:e0130733.
- C Buettner et al. Simvastatin and vitamin D for migraine prevention: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Neurol 2015; 78:970.
- A transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation device (Cefaly) for migraine prevention. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:78.
- AJ Starling et al. A multicenter, prospective, single arm, open label, observational study of sTMS for migraine prevention (ESPOUSE Study). Cephalalgia 2018; 38:1038.
- H-C Diener et al. Non-invasive vagus nerve stimulation (nVNS) for the preventive treatment of episodic migraine: the multicentre, double-blind, randomised, sham-controlled PREMIUM trial. Cephalalgia 2019; 39:1475.
- X Ni et al. Acupuncture versus various control treatments in the treatment of migraine: a review of randomized controlled trials from the past 10 years. J Pain Res 2020; 13:2033.
- S-Q Fan et al. Efficacy of acupuncture for migraine prophylaxis: a trial sequential meta-analysis. J Neurol 2020 Aug 24 (epub).
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.