The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Chronic Heart Failure
June 14, 2021 (Issue: 1626)Among patients with chronic heart failure, those with a left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) ≤40% are considered to have heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (HFrEF). Patients with a LVEF ≥50% are considered to have heart failure...more
- CW Yancy et al. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 62:e147.
- CW Yancy et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/HFSA focused update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines and the Heart Failure Society of America. Circulation 2017; 136:e137.
- TM Maddox et al. 2021 update to the 2017 ACC Expert Consensus Decision Pathway for Optimization of Heart Failure Treatment: answers to 10 pivotal issues about heart failure with reduced ejection fraction: a report of the American College of Cardiology Solution Set Oversight Committee. J Am Coll Cardiol 2021; 77:772.
- Vericiguat (Verquvo) for heart failure. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:36.
- In brief: Sacubitril/valsartan (Entresto) expanded indication. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:65.
- JJV McMurray et al. Angiotensin-neprilysin versus enalapril in heart failure. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:993.
- SD Solomon et al. Angiotensin-neprilysin inhibition in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. N Engl J Med 2019; 381:1609.
- SD Solomon et al. Sacubitril/valsartan across the spectrum of ejection fraction in heart failure. Circulation 2020; 141:352.
- DL Mann et al. LCZ696 in advanced heart failure—LIFE. American College of Cardiology Virtual Annual Scientific Session (ACC 2021), May 17, 2021. Available at https://bit.ly/3fg9jtD. Accessed May 26, 2021.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes and P-glycoprotein. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; September 10 (epub). Available at: www.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- FDA. Drug development and drug interactions: table of substrates, inhibitors and inducers. Available at www.fda.gov. Accessed May 26, 2021.
- Drug Interactions from The Medical Letter. Available at: www.medicalletter.org/subDIO.
- H Svanström et al. Association of treatment with losartan vs candesartan and mortality among patients with heart failure. JAMA 2012; 307:1506.
- F Zannad et al. Eplerenone in patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:11.
- B Pitt et al. The effect of spironolactone on morbidity and mortality in patients with severe heart failure. N Engl J Med 1999; 341:709.
- JA Jarcho. More evidence for SGLT2 inhibitors in heart failure. N Engl J Med 2020; 383:1481.
- Dapagliflozin (Farxiga) – a new indication for heart failure. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:102.
- Empagliflozin (Jardiance) for heart failure. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:177.
- AL Taylor et al. Combination of isosorbide dinitrate and hydralazine in blacks with heart failure. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:2049.
- K Swedberg et al. Ivabradine and outcomes in chronic heart failure (SHIFT): a randomised placebo-controlled study. Lancet 2010; 376:875.
- Ivabradine (Corlanor) for heart failure. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:75.
- Digitalis Investigation Group. The effect of digoxin on mortality and morbidity in patients with heart failure. N Engl J Med 1997; 336:525.
- MY Yacoob et al. The risk of congenital malformations associated with exposure to β-blockers early in pregnancy: a meta-analysis. Hypertension 2013; 62:375.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.