The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
November 28, 2011
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
What about Niacin?
November 28, 2011 (Issue: 1378)The results of the AIM-HIGH trial conducted by the US National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) were recently published. The goal of the trial was to test whether addition of niacin to intensive statin therapy would further reduce the risk...more
1. The AIM-HIGH Investigators. Niacin in patients with low HDL cholesterol levels receiving intensive statin therapy. N Engl J Med. 2011 Nov 15 (epub).
2. VS Kamanna and ML Kashyap. Mechanism of action of niacin. Am J Cardiol 2008; 101:20B.
3. Drugs for lipids. Treat Guidel Med Lett 2011; 9:13.
4. PL Canner et al. Fifteen year mortality in Coronary Drug Project patients: long-term benefit with niacin. J Am Coll Cardiol 1986; 8:1245.
5. JR Guyton. Effect of niacin on atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol 1998; 82:18U.
6. E Bruckert et al. Meta-analysis of the effect of nicotinic acid alone or in combination on cardiovascular events and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2010; 201:353.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.