The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Overactive Bladder
March 20, 2023 (Issue: 1672)In overactive bladder, involuntary bladder contractions due to detrusor overactivity result in urinary urgency, frequency, nocturia, and incontinence. The prevalence of the disorder increases with age. Nonpharmacologic treatment, including...more
- DJ Lightner et al. Diagnosis and treatment of overactive bladder (non-neurogenic) in adults: AUA/SUFU guideline amendment 2019. J Urol 2019; 202:558. doi:10.1097/ju.0000000000000309
- EA Gormley et al. Diagnosis and treatment of overactive bladder (non-neurogenic) in adults: AUA/SUFU guideline. J Urol 2012; 188:2455. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2012.09.079
- WS Reynolds et al. Comparative effectiveness of anticholinergic therapy for overactive bladder in women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obstet Gynecol 2015; 125:1423. doi:10.1097/aog.0000000000000851
- SL Gray et al. Cumulative use of strong anticholinergics and incident dementia: a prospective cohort study. JAMA Intern Med 2015; 175:401. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.7663
- B Welk and E McArthur. Increased risk of dementia among patients with overactive bladder treated with an anticholinergic medication compared to a beta-3 agonist: a population-based cohort study. BJU Int 2020;126:183. doi:10.1111/bju.15040
- G Araklitis et al. Cognitive effects of anticholinergic load in women with overactive bladder. Clin Interv Aging 2020; 15:1493. doi:10.2147/cia.s252852
- Clinical consensus statement: association of anticholinergic medication use and cognition in women with overactive bladder. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg 2021; 27:69. doi:10.1097/spv.0000000000001008
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes, P-glycoprotein, and other transporters. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2023 January 25 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- Mirabegron (Myrbetriq) for overactive bladder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:13.
- Vibegron (Gemtesa) for overactive bladder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:67.
- D Staskin et al. International phase III, randomized, double-blind, placebo and active controlled study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of vibegron in patients with symptoms of overactive bladder: EMPOWUR. J Urol 2020; 204:316. doi:10.1097/ju.0000000000000807
- C Kelleher et al. Efficacy and tolerability of mirabegron compared with antimuscarinic monotherapy or combination therapies for overactive bladder: a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Eur Urol 2018; 74:324. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2018.03.020
- CR Chapple et al. Safety and efficacy of mirabegron: analysis of a large integrated clinical trial database of patients with overactive bladder receiving mirabegron, antimuscarinics, or placebo. Eur Urol 2020; 77:119. doi:10.1016/j. eururo.2019.09.024
- MJ Drake et al. Efficacy and safety of mirabegron add-on therapy to solifenacin in incontinent overactive bladder patients with an inadequate response to initial 4-week solifenacin monotherapy: a randomised double-blind multicentre phase 3B study (BESIDE). Eur Urol 2016; 70:136. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2016.02.030
- S Herschorn et al. Efficacy and safety of combinations of mirabegron and solifenacin compared with monotherapy and placebo in patients with overactive bladder (SYNERGY study). BJU Int 2017; 120:562. doi:10.1111/bju.13882
- C Gratzke et al. Long-term safety and efficacy of mirabegron and solifenacin in combination compared with monotherapy in patients with overactive bladder: a randomised, multicentre phase 3 study (SYNERGY II). Eur Urol 2018; 74:501. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2018.05.005
- K Kosilov et al. Influence of the short-term intake of high doses of solifenacin and trospium on cognitive function and health-related quality of life in older women with urinary incontinence. Int Neurourol J 2018; 22:41. doi:10.5213/inj.1834996.498
- Botox for overactive bladder. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2013; 55:31.
- DR Ellington et al. Combined tolterodine and vaginal estradiol cream for overactive bladder symptoms after randomized single-therapy treatment. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg 2016; 22:254. doi:10.1097/spv.0000000000000256
- H Chen et al. Efficacy of daily low-dose tadalafil for treating overactive bladder: results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Urology 2017; 100:59. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2016.11.008
- ES Rovner et al. Low-dose desmopressin and tolterodine combination therapy for treating nocturia in women with overactive bladder: a double-blind, randomized, controlled study. Low Urin Tract Symptoms 2018; 10:221. doi:10.1111/luts.12169
- WD Steers et al. Duloxetine compared with placebo for treating women with symptoms of overactive bladder. BJU Int 2007; 100:337. doi:10.1111/j.1464-410x.2007.06980.x
- HFA Moossdorff-Steinhauser and B Berghmans. Effects of percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation on adult patients with overactive bladder syndrome: a systematic review. Neurourol Urodyn 2013; 32:206. doi:10.1002/nau.22296
- KM Peters et al. Randomized trial of percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation versus extended-release tolterodine: results from the overactive bladder innovative therapy trial. J Urol 2009; 182:1055. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2009.05.045
- A Vollstedt and J Gilleran. Update on implantable PTNS devices. Curr Urol Rep 2020; 21:28. doi:10.1007/s11934-020-00980-5
- S Gandhi et al. Long-term outcomes of sacral neuromodulation for lower urinary tract dysfunction: a 23-year experience. Neurourol Urodyn 2021; 40:461. doi:10.1002/nau.24583
- CL Amundsen et al. Two-year outcomes of sacral neuromodulation versus onabotulinumtoxinA for refractory urgency urinary incontinence: a randomized trial. Eur Urol 2018; 74:66. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2018.02.011
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.