The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Common Eye Disorders
December 2, 2019 (Issue: 1586)This issue includes reviews of drugs for glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), bacterial conjunctivitis, and dry eye disease. Allergic conjunctivitis is reviewed in a separate issue.
- Drugs for allergic disorders. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:71.
- JH Liu et al. Diurnal and nocturnal effects of brimonidine monotherapy on intraocular pressure. Ophthalmology 2010; 117:2075.
- S Arthur and LB Cantor. Update on the role of alpha-agonists in glaucoma management. Exp Eye Res 2011; 93:271.
- Two new drugs for glaucoma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:117.
- R Pujari and HD Jampel. Treating glaucoma with medical marijuana: peering through the smoke. Ophthalmology Glaucoma 2019; 2:201.
- Cannabis and cannabinoids. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:179.
- X Sun et al. Marijuana for glaucoma: a recipe for disaster or treatment? Yale J Biol Med 2015; 88:265.
- A Garg and G Gazzard. Selective laser trabeculoplasty: past, present, and future. Eye 2018; 32:863.
- G Gazzard et al. Selective laser trabeculoplasty versus eye drops for first-line treatment of ocular hypertension and glaucoma (LiGHT): a multicentre randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2019; 393:1505.
- GM Richter and AL Coleman. Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery: current status and future prospects. Clin Ophthalmol 2016; 10:189.
- Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group. A randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trial of high-dose supplementation with vitamins C and E, beta carotene, and zinc for age-related macular degeneration and vision loss: AREDS report no. 8. Arch Ophthalmol 2001; 119:1417.
- Age-Related Eye Disease Study Research Group. Lutein + zeaxanthin and omega-3 fatty acids for age-related macular degeneration: the age-related eye disease study 2 (AREDS2) randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2013; 309:2005.
- The ATBC Cancer Prevention Study Group. The effect of vitamin E and beta carotene on the incidence of lung cancer and other cancers in male smokers. N Engl J Med 1994; 330:1029.
- GS Omenn et al. Effects of a combination of beta carotene and vitamin A on lung cancer and cardiovascular disease. N Engl J Med 1996; 334:1150.
- ER Miller 3rd et al. Meta-analysis: high-dosage vitamin E supplementation may increase all-cause mortality. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142:37.
- I Bairati et al. Antioxidant vitamins supplementation and mortality: a randomized trial in head and neck cancer patients. Int J Cancer 2006; 119:2221.
- VEGF inhibitors for AMD and diabetic macular edema. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2015; 57:41.
- Ranibizumab (Lucentis) for macular degeneration. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2006; 48:85.
- PJ Rosenfeld et al. Ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med 2006; 355:1419.
- BA Frost and MA Kainer. Safe preparation and administration of intravitreal bevacizumab injections. N Engl J Med 2011; 365:2238.
- CATT Research Group. Ranibizumab and bevacizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med 2011; 364:1897.
- U Chakravarthy et al. Alternative treatments to inhibit VEGF in age-related choroidal neovascularization: 2-year findings of the IVAN randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2013; 382:1258.
- CATT Research Group. Ranibizumab and bevacizumab for treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration: two-year results. Ophthalmology 2012; 119:1388.
- Aflibercept (Eylea) for age-related macular degeneration. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2012; 54:9.
- PU Dugel et al. HAWK and HARRIER: phase 3, multicenter, randomized, double-masked trials of brolucizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Ophthalmology 2019 April 12 (epub).
- Pegaptanib sodium (Macugen) for macular degeneration. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2005; 47:55.
- SD Solomon et al. Anti-vascular endothelial growth factor for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014; 3:CD005139.
- Photodynamic therapy with verteporfin (Visudyne) for macular degeneration. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2000; 42:81.
- Y Gao et al. Anti-VEGF monotherapy versus photodynamic therapy and anti-VEGF combination treatment for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: a meta-analysis. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2018; 59:4307.
- M Teweldemedhin et al. Bacterial profile of ocular infections: a systematic review. BMC Ophthalmol 2017; 17:212.
- Ophthalmic azithromycin (AzaSite). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:11.
- Ophthalmic besifloxacin (Besivance). Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:101.
- EK Akpek et al. Dry eye syndrome preferred practice pattern. Ophthalmology 2019; 126:P286.
- Ophthalmic cyclosporine (Restasis) for dry eyes. Med Lett Drug Ther 2003; 45:42.
- Cyclosporine 0.09% solution (Cequa) for dry eye disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:116.
- Lifitegrast (Xiidra) for dry eye disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:110.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.