The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
March 19, 2012
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
Statin Label Changes
March 19, 2012 (Issue: 1386)Citing some recent reports, the FDA has announced changes in the safety labeling of all HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins).
1. FDA Drug Safety Communication: Important safety label changes to cholesterol-lowering statin drugs. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm293101.htm. Accessed March 12, 2012.
2. New simvastatin dosing recommendations. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:61.
3. PM Ridker et al. Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive protein. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:2195.
4. N Sattar et al. Statins and risk of incident diabetes: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomized statin trials. Lancet 2010; 375:735.
5. AL Culver et al. Statin use and risk of diabetes mellitus in postmenopausal women in the Women's Health Initiative. Arch Intern Med 2012; 172:144.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.