The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Colorectal Cancer Screening
July 1, 2019 (Issue: 1575)Most colorectal cancers arise from localized adenomatous polyps in a process that may take 10 years or more. Early detection and removal of a precancerous colonic lesion (polyp) can prevent cancer from developing.
- K Simon. Colorectal cancer development and advances in screening. Clin Interv Aging 2016; 11:967.
- G Lopes et al. Early detection for colorectal cancer: ASCO resource-stratified guideline. J Global Oncol 2019; 15:287.
- US Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for colorectal cancer: US Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement. JAMA 2016; 315:2564.
- DK Rex et al. Colorectal cancer screening: recommendations for physicians and patients from the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer. Gastroenterology 2017; 153:307.
- AMD Wolf et al. Colorectal cancer screening for average-risk adults: 2018 guideline update from the American Cancer Society. CA Cancer J Clin 2018; 68:250.
- RGS Meester et al. Trends in incidence and stage at diagnosis of colorectal cancer in adults aged 40 through 49 years, 1975-2015. JAMA 2019; 321:1933.
- SH Elsafiet al. The sensitivity, specificity, predictive values and likelihood rations of fecal occult blood test for the detection of colorectal cancer in hospital settings. Clin Exp Gastroenterol 2015; 8:279.
- S Hundt et al. Comparative evaluation of immunochemical fecal occult blood tests for colorectal adenoma detection. Ann Intern Med 2009; 150:162.
- JK Lee et al. Accuracy of fecal immunochemical tests for colorectal cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med 2014; 160:171.
- A stool DNA test (Cologuard) for colorectal cancer screening. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2014; 56:100.
- TF Imperiale et al. Multitarget stool DNA testing for colorectal-cancer screening. N Engl J Med 2014; 370:1287.
- RE Schoen et al. Colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality with screening flexible sigmoidoscopy. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:2345.
- O Holme et al. Effect of flexible sigmoidoscopy screening on colorectal cancer incidence and mortality: a randomized trial. JAMA 2014; 312:606.
- CA Doubeni et al. Effectiveness of screening colonoscopy in reducing the risk of death from right and left colon cancer: a large community-based study. Gut 2018; 67:291.
- C Moreno et al. ACR appropriateness criteria colorectal cancer screening. J Am Coll Radiol 2018; 15:S56.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.