The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
IV Artesunate for Severe Malaria
August 10, 2020 (Issue: 1604)Artesunate for injection (Amivas LLC), a semi-synthetic artemisinin derivative, is now approved by the FDA for initial (induction) treatment of severe malaria in children and adults. It has been available from the CDC on a compassionate use basis...more
- In brief: IV artesunate for severe malaria. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2008; 50:37.
- Artemether-lumefantrine (Coartem) for treatment of malaria. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2009; 51:75.
- Advice for travelers. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:153.
- CDC. Treatment of malaria: guidelines for clinicians (United States). Available at: www.cdc.gov/malaria/diagnosis_treatment/clinicians1.html. Accessed July 30, 2020.
- O Muller et al. Geographic expansion of artemisinin resistance. J Travel Med 2019; 26:taz030.
- AM Dondorp et al. Artemisinin resistance in Plasmodium falciparum malaria. N Engl J Med 2009: 361:455.
- South East Asian Quinine Artesunate Malaria Trial (SEAQUAMAT) group. Artesunate versus quinine for treatment of severe falciparum malaria: a randomised trial. Lancet 2005; 366:717.
- AM Dondorp et al. Artesunate versus quinine in the treatment of severe falciparum malaria in African children (AQUAMAT): an open-label, randomised trial. Lancet 2010; 376:1647.
- PS Twomey et al. Intravenous artesunate for the treatment of severe and complicated malaria in the United States: clinical use under an investigational new drug protocol. Ann Intern Med 2015; 163:498.
- D Savargaonkar et al. Delayed haemolysis after treatment with intravenous artesunate in patients with severe malaria in India. Malar J 2020; 19:39.
- U D'Alessandro et al. Treatment of uncomplicated and severe malaria during pregnancy. Lancet Infect Dis 2018; 18:e133.
- Tafenoquine (Arakoda; Krintafel) for malaria. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:101.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.