The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Asthma
December 14, 2020 (Issue: 1613)The goal of asthma treatment is to control symptoms, prevent exacerbations, and maintain normal lung function. Management of acute exacerbations of asthma in the emergency department is not discussed here.
- Expert Panel Working Group of the NHLBI. 2020 focused updates to the asthma management guidelines: a report from the National Asthma Education and Prevention Program Coordinating Committee Expert Panel Working Group. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2020; 146:1217.
- Global Initiative for Asthma. Global strategy for asthma management and prevention (2020 update). Available at www.ginasthma.org. Accessed December 3, 2020.
- K Sumino et al. A pragmatic trial of symptom-based inhaled corticosteroid use in African-American children with mild asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2020; 8:176.
- JK Mukker et al. Ciclesonide: a pro-soft drug approach for mitigation of side effects of inhaled corticosteroids. J Pharm Sci 2016; 105:2509.
- HW Kelly et al. Effect of inhaled glucocorticoids in childhood on adult height. N Engl J Med 2012; 367:904.
- PM O’Byrne et al. Inhaled combined budesonide-formoterol as needed in mild asthma. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:1865.
- ED Bateman et al. As-needed budesonide-formoterol versus maintenance budesonide in mild asthma. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:1877.
- R Beasley et al. Controlled trial of budesonide-formoterol as needed for mild asthma. N Engl J Med 2019; 380:2020.
- J Hardy et al. Budesonide-formoterol reliever therapy versus maintenance budesonide plus terbutaline reliever therapy in adults with mild to moderate asthma (PRACTICAL): a 52-week, open-label, multicentre, superiority, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2019; 394:919.
- DM Sobieraj et al. Association of inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting β-agonists as controller and quick relief therapy with exacerbations and symptom control in persistent asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2018; 319:1485.
- DA Stempel et al. Safety of adding salmeterol to fluticasone propionate in children with asthma. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:840.
- WW Busse et al. Combined analysis of asthma safety trials of long-acting β2-agonists. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:2497.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication. December 20, 2017. Available at: www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm589587. htm. Accessed December 3, 2020.
- DM Sobieraj et al. Association of inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting muscarinic antagonists with asthma control in patients with uncontrolled, persistent asthma: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 2018; 319:1473.
- KM Kew and K Dahri. Long-acting muscarinic antagonists (LAMA) added to combination long-acting beta2-agonists and inhaled corticosteroids (LABA/ICS) versus LABA/ICS for adults with asthma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 1:CD011721.
- LA Lee et al. Efficacy and safety of once-daily single-inhaler triple therapy (FF/UMEC/VI) versus FF/VI in patients with inadequately controlled asthma (CAPTAIN): a double-blind, randomised, phase 3A trial. Lancet Respir Med 2020 Sep 9 (epub).
- In brief: Neuropsychiatric events with montelukast. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:65.
- KM MacDonald et al. Short- and long-term real-world effectiveness of omalizumab in severe allergic asthma: systematic review of 42 studies published 2008-2018. Expert Rev Clin Immunol 2019; 15:553.
- Mepolizumab (Nucala) for severe eosinophilic asthma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:11.
- KR Chapman et al. The clinical benefit of mepolizumab replacing omalizumab in uncontrolled severe eosinophilic asthma. Allergy 2019; 74:1716.
- Reslizumab (Cinqair) for severe eosinophilic asthma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2016; 58:81.
- G Brusselle et al. Reslizumab in patients with inadequately controlled late-onset asthma and elevated blood eosinophils. Pulm Pharmacol Ther 2017; 43:39.
- Benralizumab (Fasenra) for severe eosinophilic asthma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:33.
- Dupilumab (Dupixent) for asthma. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:6.
- S Wenzel et al. Dupilumab efficacy and safety in adults with uncontrolled persistent asthma despite use of medium-to-high-dose inhaled corticosteroids plus a long-acting β2 agonist: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled pivotal phase 2b dose-ranging trial. Lancet 2016; 388:31.
- M Castro et al. Dupilumab efficacy and safety in moderate-to-severe uncontrolled asthma. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:2486.
- KF Rabe et al. Efficacy and safety of dupilumab in glucocorticoid-dependent severe asthma. N Engl J Med 2018; 378:2475.
- M Wechsler et al. Dupilumab is well tolerated and shows sustained efficacy in patients with asthma: Liberty Asthma Traverse. 78th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI); virtual meeting; Nov. 13-15, 2020. Abstract P219.
- K Xu et al. Efficacy of add-on sublingual immunotherapy for adults with asthma: a meta-analysis and systematic review. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2018; 121:186.
- NC Thomson. Recent developments in bronchial thermoplasty for severe asthma. J Asthma Allergy 2019; 12:375.
- PI Bonta et al. Bronchial thermoplasty in severe asthma: best practice recommendations from an expert panel. Respiration 2018; 95:289.
- H Wang et al. Asthma in pregnancy: pathophysiology, diagnosis, whole-course management, and medication safety. Can Respir J 2020; 2020:9046842.
- JA Namazy et al. Pregnancy outcomes in the omalizumab pregnancy registry and a disease-matched comparator cohort. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2020; 145:528.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.