The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
In Brief: Third Dose of mRNA-based COVID-19 Vaccines for Immunocompromised Persons
September 20, 2021 (Issue: 1633)The FDA has expanded the Emergency Use Authorizations (EUAs) for the mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines manufactured by Pfizer/BioNTech (Comirnaty) and Moderna (Spikevax) to include administration of a third dose in persons ≥12 years old...more
- FDA News Release. Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: FDA authorizes additional vaccine dose for certain immunocompromised individuals. August 12, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3AM8QHq. Accessed August 18, 2021.
- K Dooling. Evidence to recommendations framework: an additional dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine following a primary series in immunocompromised people. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices meeting, August 13, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/2Uqqy3H. Accessed August 18, 2021.
- BJ Boyarsky et al. Antibody response to 2-dose SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccine series in solid organ transplant recipients. JAMA 2021; 325:2204.
- VG Hall et al. Randomized trial of a third dose of mRNA-1273 vaccine in transplant recipients. N Engl J Med 2021 August 11 (epub).
- M Espi et al. Justification, safety, and efficacy of a third dose of mRNA vaccine in maintenance hemodialysis patients: a prospective observational study. MedRxiv 2021 July 6 (preprint). Available at: https://bit.l/3snU1bd. Accessed August 18, 2021.
- FDA. Fact sheet for health care providers administering vaccine (vaccination providers). Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). August 23, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/37fX1NG. Accessed September 7, 2021.
- FDA. Fact sheet for healthcare providers administering vaccine (vaccination providers). Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). August 27, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3nosylA. Accessed September 7, 2021.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.