The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for GERD and Peptic Ulcer Disease
April 4, 2022 (Issue: 1647)Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the most common GI condition encountered in the outpatient setting; it affects about 20% of people in the US.
- J Maret-Ouda et al. Gastroesophageal reflux disease: a review. JAMA 2020; 324:2536.
- PO Katz et al. ACG clinical guideline for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Am J Gastroenterol 2022; 117:27.
- E Ness-Jensen et al. Lifestyle intervention in gastroesophageal reflux disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 14:175.
- M Singh et al. Weight loss can lead to resolution of gastroesophageal reflux disease symptoms: a prospective intervention trial. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2013; 21:284.
- E Ness-Jensen et al. Weight loss and reduction in gastroesophageal reflux. A prospective population-based cohort study: the HUNT study. Am J Gastroenterol 2013; 108:376.
- C Body and JA Christie. Gastrointestinal disease in pregnancy: nausea, vomiting, hyperemesis gravidarum, gastroesophageal reflux disease, constipation, and diarrhea. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2016; 45:267.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes, P-glycoprotein, and other transporters. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021 October 20 (epub). Available at: http://secure.medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- DY Graham and A Tansel. Interchangeable use of proton pump inhibitors based on relative potency. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2018; 16:800.
- Safety of long-term PPI use. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:131.
- MF Vaezi et al. Complications of proton pump inhibitor therapy. Gastroenterology 2017; 153:35.
- D Abrahami et al. Proton pump inhibitors and risk of gastric cancer: population-based cohort study. Gut 2022; 71:16.
- DE Freedberg et al. The risks and benefits of long-term use of proton pump inhibitors: expert review and best practice advice from the American Gastroenterological Association. Gastroenterology 2017; 152:706.
- T Furuta et al. Influence of CYP2C19 pharmacogenetic polymorphism on proton pump inhibitor-based therapies. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 2005; 20:153.
- RS Wedemeyer and H Blume. Pharmacokinetic drug interaction profiles of proton pump inhibitors: an update. Drug Saf 2014; 37:201.
- SA Scott et al. Antiplatelet drug interactions with proton pump inhibitors. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 2014; 10:175.
- SD Bouziana and K Tziomalos. Clinical relevance of clopidogrel-proton pump inhibitors interaction. World J Gastrointest Pharmacol Ther 2015; 6:17.
- Drug interaction: clopidogrel and PPIs. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2017; 59:39.
- SK Gill et al. The safety of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) in pregnancy: a meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2009; 104:1541.
- B Pasternak and A Hviid. Use of proton-pump inhibitors in early pregnancy and the risk of birth defects. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:2114.
- C Reimer et al. Randomised clinical trial: alginate (Gaviscon Advance) vs. placebo as add-on therapy in reflux patients with inadequate response to a once daily proton pump inhibitor. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2016; 43:899.
- SJ Spechler et al. Randomized trial of medical versus surgical therapy for refractory heartburn. N Engl J Med 2019; 381:1513.
- AC Ford et al. Eradication therapy for peptic ulcer disease in Helicobacter pylori-positive people. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2016; 4:CD003840.
- IJ Choi et al. Family history of gastric cancer and Helicobacter pylori treatment. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:427.
- MP Dore et al. Dyspepsia: when and how to test for Helicobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2016; 2016:8463614.
- Y-C Lee et al. Diagnosis and treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection. Annu Rev Med 2022; 73:183.
- WD Chey et al. ACG clinical guideline: treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection. Am J Gastroenterol 2017; 112:212.
- SC Shah et al. AGA clinical practice update on the management of refractory Helicobacter pylori infection: expert review. Gastroenterology 2021; 160:1831.
- Talicia – a 3-drug combination for Helicobacter pylori infection. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:83.
- P Malfertheiner et al. Management of Helicobacter pylori infection–the Maastricht V/Florence consensus report. Gut 2017; 66:6.
- DY Graham and MP Dore. Update on the use of vonoprazan: a competitive acid blocker. Gastroenterology 2018; 154:462.
- S Shinozaki et al. Effectiveness and safety of vonoprazan versus proton pump inhibitors for second-line Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy: systematic review and meta-analysis. Digestion 2021; 102:319.
- RL Woosley et al. QT drugs list. Available at: www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA review finds additional data supports the potential for increased long-term risks with antibiotic clarithromycin (Biaxin) in patients with heart disease. February 22, 2018. Available at: https://bit.ly/35m8rBk. Accessed March 17, 2022.
- In brief: New warnings on NSAID use in pregnancy. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:175.
- O Sheehy et al. The use of metronidazole during pregnancy: a review of evidence. Curr Drug Saf 2015; 10:170.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.