The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
- Mavacamten (Camzyos) for Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Tenapanor (Ibsrela) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation
- COVID-19 Update: Booster Dose of the Pfizer Vaccine for Children 5-11 Years Old
- COVID-19 Update: FDA Narrows EUA for the Johnson & Johnson Vaccine
- COVID-19 Update: NIH Recommends Against Ivermectin
- COVID-19 Update: Remdesivir (Veklury) FDA-Approved for Children <12 Years Old (online only)
- COVID-19 Update: Baricitinib (Olumiant) FDA-Approved for Treatment of COVID-19 (online only)
Mavacamten (Camzyos) for Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
June 13, 2022 (Issue: 1652)The FDA has approved mavacamten (Camzyos – MyoKardia/BMS), a modulator of cardiac myosin, to improve functional capacity and symptoms in adults with New York Heart Association (NYHA) class II or III obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy...more
- SR Ommen et al. 2020 AHA/ACC guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Joint Committee on clinical practice guidelines. Circulation 2020; 142:e558.
- MS Maron et al. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is predominantly a disease of left ventricular outflow tract obstruction. Circulation 2006; 114:2232.
- C Kimmelstiel et al. Guideline-based referral for septal reduction therapy in obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is associated with excellent clinical outcomes. Circ Cardiovasc Interv 2019; 12:e007673.
- LK Kim et al. Hospital volume outcomes after septal myectomy and alcohol septal ablation for treatment of obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: US nationwide inpatient database, 2003-2011. JAMA Cardiol 2016; 1:324.
- RF Kawas et al. A small-molecule modulator of cardiac myosin acts on multiple stages of the myosin chemomechanical cycle. J Biol Chem 2017; 292:16571.
- I Olivotto et al. Mavacamten for treatment of symptomatic obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (EXPLORER-HCM): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 2020; 396:759.
- SM Hegde et al. Effect of mavacamten on echocardiographic features in symptomatic patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2021; 78:2518.
- F Radar et al. Updated cumulative results of treatment with mavacamten from the EXPLORER-LTE cohort of the MAVA-LTE study in patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. American College of Cardiology 71st Annual Scientific Session (ACC 2022), Washington DC, April 2-4, 2022.
- MY Desai. Mavacamten as an alternative to surgical septal myectomy or alcohol ablation in patients with severely symptomatic obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. American College of Cardiology 71st Annual Scientific Session (ACC 2022), Washington DC, April 2-4, 2022.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes, P-glycoprotein, and other transporters. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021 October 20 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- Approximate WAC. WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer’s published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. May 5, 2022. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2022. www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.