The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
October 3, 2022
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
Influenza Vaccine for 2022-2023
October 3, 2022 (Issue: 1660)Annual vaccination in the US against influenza A and B viruses is recommended for everyone ≥6 months old without a contraindication. Influenza vaccines that are available in the US for the 2022-2023 season are listed in Table 2.
- LA Grohskopf et al. Prevention and control of seasonal influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices – United States, 2022-23 Influenza Season. MMWR Recomm Rep 2022; 71:1.
- XR Bhat. Influenza B infections in children: a review. World J Clin Pediatr 2020; 9:44.
- JM Ferdinands et al. Waning vaccine effectiveness against influenza-associated hospitalizations among adults, 2015-2016 to 2018-2019, United States Hospitalized Adult Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Network. Clin Infect Dis 2021; 73:726.
- CDC. Interim guidance for routine and influenza immunization services during the COVID-19 pandemic. April 6, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3DpmHrG. Accessed September 15, 2022.
- C Arriola et al. Influenza vaccination modifies disease severity among community-dwelling adults hospitalized with influenza. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 65:1289.
- B Flannery et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness against pediatric deaths: 2010-2014. Pediatrics 2017; 139:e20164244.
- AP Campbell et al. Effect of vaccination on preventing influenza-associated hospitalizations among children during a severe season associated with B/Victoria viruses, 2019-2020. Clin Infect Dis 2021; 73:e947.
- S Garg et al. Influenza vaccine reduces risk of severe outcomes among adults hospitalized with influenza A(H1N1) pdm09, FluServ-NET, 2013-2018. ID Week, Washington, DC, October 2-6, 2019. Abstract 898. Available at: https://bit.ly/3lIEr6e. Accessed September 15, 2022.
- M Darvishian et al. Effectiveness of seasonal influenza vaccine in community-dwelling elderly people: a meta-analysis of test-negative design case-control studies. Lancet Infect Dis 2014; 14:1228.
- MA Rolfes et al. Effects of influenza vaccination in the United States during the 2017-2018 influenza season. Clin Infect Dis 2019; 69:1845.
- B Young et al. Do antibody responses to the influenza vaccine persist year-round in the elderly? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine 2017; 35:212.
- Y Pang et al. Effectiveness of influenza vaccination on in-hospital death and recurrent hospitalization in older adults with cardiovascular diseases. Int J Infect Dis 2022; 122:162.
- CA DiazGranados et al. Efficacy of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccine in older adults. N Engl J Med 2014; 371:635.
- S Gravenstein et al. Comparative effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccination on numbers of US nursing home residents admitted to hospital: a cluster-randomised trial. Lancet Respir Med 2017; 5:738.
- DK Shay et al. Comparative effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccines among US Medicare beneficiaries in preventing postinfluenza deaths during 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. J Infect Dis 2017; 215:510.
- JKH Lee et al. Efficacy and effectiveness of high-dose influenza vaccine in older adults by circulating strain and antigenic match: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis. Vaccine 2021; 39(Suppl 1):A24.
- Y Young-Xu et al. High-dose influenza vaccination and mortality among predominantly male, white, senior veterans, United States, 2012/13 to 2014/2015. Euro Surveill 2020; 25:1900401.
- O Vardeny et al. Effect of high-dose trivalent vs standard-dose quadrivalent influenza vaccine on mortality or cardiopulmonary hospitalization in patients with high-risk cardiovascular disease: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2021; 325:39.
- SE Frey et al. Comparison of the safety and immunogenicity of an MF59®-adjuvanted with a non-adjuvanted seasonal influenza vaccine in elderly subjects. Vaccine 2014; 32:5027.
- PG Van Buynder et al. The comparative effectiveness of adjuvanted and unadjuvanted trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine (TIV) in the elderly. Vaccine 2013; 31:6122.
- F Lapi et al. Adjuvanted versus nonadjuvanted influenza vaccines and risk of hospitalizations for pneumonia and cerebro/cardiovascular events in the elderly. Expert Rev Vaccines 2019; 18:663.
- KW McConeghy et al. Cluster-randomized trial of adjuvanted versus non-adjuvanted trivalent influenza vaccine in 823 U.S. nursing homes. Clin Infect Dis 2021; 73:e4237.
- LM Dunkle et al. Efficacy of recombinant influenza vaccine in adults 50 years of age or older. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:2427.
- BJ Cowling et al. Comparative immunogenicity of several enhanced influenza vaccine options for older adults: a randomized, controlled trial. Clin Infect Dis 2020; 71:1704.
- MG Thompson et al. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in preventing influenza-associated hospitalizations during pregnancy: a multi-country retrospective test negative design study, 2010-2016. Clin Infect Dis 2019; 68:1444.
- CDC. Addressing concerns pregnant people might have about influenza vaccine safety. August 25, 2022. Available at: https://bit.ly/3jDkTyg. Accessed September 15, 2022.
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 732: influenza vaccination during pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2018; 131:e109.
- A Mehrabadi et al. Association of maternal influenza vaccination during pregnancy with early childhood health outcomes. JAMA 2021; 325:2285.
- M Greenhawt et al. Administration of influenza vaccines to egg allergic recipients: a practice parameter update 2017. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2018; 120:49.
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. Egg allergy and the flu vaccine. August 11, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3yV2uUI. Accessed September 15, 2022.
- Committee on Infectious Diseases. Recommendations for prevention and control of influenza in children, 2021–2022. Pediatrics 2021; 148:e2021053744.
- Y Natori et al. A double-blind, randomized trial of high-dose vs standard-dose influenza vaccine in adult solid-organ transplant recipients. Clin Infect Dis 2018; 66:1698.
- AG L’huillier et al. Cell-mediated immune responses after influenza vaccination of solid organ transplant recipients: secondary outcomes analyses of a randomized controlled trial. J Infect Dis 2020; 221:53.
- TF Schwarz et al. Immunogenicity and safety of an adjuvanted herpes zoster subunit vaccine coadministered with seasonal influenza vaccine in adults aged 50 years or older. J Infect Dis 2017; 216:1352.
- A Babazadeh et al. Influenza vaccination and Guillian-Barré syndrome: reality or fear. J Transl Int Med 2019; 7:137.
- AL Hulsizer et al. Hyperglycemia post-influenza vaccine in patients with diabetes. Ann Pharmacother 2022 June 2 (epub).
- AG Sokolow et al. Safety of live attenuated influenza vaccine in children with asthma. Pediatrics 2022; 149:e2021055432.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.