The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
March 6, 2023
- Antiviral Drugs for COVID-19 in Vaccinated Outpatients
- Live Fecal Microbiota (Rebyota) for Prevention of CDI Recurrence
- Ublituximab (Briumvi) for Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Elacestrant (Orserdu) for Advanced or Metastatic Breast Cancer
- In Brief: Adstiladrin – A Gene Therapy for Bladder Cancer (online only)
- Mosunetuzumab (Lunsumio) for Follicular Lymphoma (online only)
- In Brief: A New Breast Cancer Indication for Sacituzumab Govitecan (Trodelvy) (online only)
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
Antiviral Drugs for COVID-19 in Vaccinated Outpatients
March 6, 2023 (Issue: 1671)Three products are currently available in the US for treatment of high-risk,1 nonhospitalized adults with mild to moderate COVID-19: oral ritonavir-boosted nirmatrelvir (Paxlovid), IV remdesivir (Veklury), and oral molnupiravir (Lagevrio)....more
- CDC. Underlying medical conditions associated with higher risk for severe COVID-19: information for healthcare professionals. February 9, 2023. Available at: http://bit.ly/3tWR8Rg. Accessed February 16, 2023.
- MM Shah et al. Paxlovid associated with decreased hospitalization rate among adults with COVID-19 – United States, April-September 2022. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2022; 71:1531. doi:10.15585/mmwr.mm7148e2
- R Najjar-Debbiny et al. Effectiveness of Paxlovid in reducing severe COVID-19 and mortality in high risk patients. Clin Infect Dis 2023; 76:e342. doi:10.1093/cid/ciac443
- NR Aggarwal et al. Real-world use of nirmatrelvir-ritonavir in outpatients with COVID-19 during the era of omicron variants including BA.4 and BA.5 in Colorado, USA: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis 2023 February 10 (epub). doi:10.1016/S1473-3099(23)00011-7
- S Dryden-Peterson et al. Nirmatrelvir plus ritonavir for early COVID-19 in a large U.S. health system: a population-based cohort study. Ann Intern Med 2023; 176:77. doi:10.7326/M22-2141
- S Ganatra et al. Oral nirmatrelvir and ritonavir in non-hospitalized vaccinated patients with Covid-19. Clin Infect Dis 2022 August 20 (epub). doi:10.1093/cid/ciac673
- Z Cao et al. VV116 versus nirmatrelvir–ritonavir for oral treatment of Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2023; 388:406. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa2208822
- CC Butler et al. Molnupiravir plus usual care versus usual care alone as early treatment for adults with COVID-19 at increased risk of adverse outcomes (PANORAMIC): an open-label, platform-adaptive randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2023; 401:281. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(22)02597-1
- R Najjar-Debbiny et al. Effectiveness of molnupiravir in high risk patients: a propensity score matched analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2023; 76:453. doi:10.1093/cid/ciac781
- NIH. COVID-19 treatment guidelines. Therapeutic management of nonhospitalized adults with COVID-19. December 28, 2022. Available at: https://bit.ly/3w5TdLB. Accessed February 16, 2023.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.