The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
July 26, 2021
Subscribers: Log in to read full issue. Not a subscriber? Subscribe or purchase issue.
An EUA for Tocilizumab (Actemra) for COVID-19
July 26, 2021 (Issue: 1629)The interleukin-6 (IL-6) receptor antagonist tocilizumab (Actemra – Genentech) has received an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the FDA for IV treatment of COVID-19 in hospitalized patients ≥2 years old who are receiving a systemic...more
- FDA News Release. Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: FDA authorizes drug for treatment of COVID-19. June 24, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3AcipzX. Accessed July 8, 2021.
- NIH. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) treatment guidelines. July 8, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3w2faYJ. Accessed July 8, 2021.
- Infectious Diseases Society of America. IDSA guidelines on the treatment and management of patients with COVID-19. June 25, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3xnQqLL. Accessed July 8, 2021.
- WHO. Therapeutics and COVID-19: living guideline. v6.1. July 6, 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/3wsYsSe. Accessed July 8, 2021.
- RECOVERY Collaborative Group. Dexamethasone in hospitalized patients with Covid-19. N Engl J Med 2021; 384:693.
- Remdesivir (Veklury) for COVID-19. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:186.
- An EUA for baricitinib (Olumiant) for COVID-19. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:202.
- S Khiali et al. A comprehensive review of tocilizumab in COVID-19 acute respiratory distress syndrome. J Clin Pharmacol 2020; 60:1131.
- RECOVERY Collaborative Group. Tocilizumab in patients admitted to hospital with COVID-19 (RECOVERY): a randomised, controlled, open-label, platform trial. Lancet 2021; 397:1637.
- C Salama et al. Tocilizumab in patients hospitalized with Covid-19 pneumonia. N Engl J Med 2021; 384:20.
- IO Rosas et al. Tocilizumab in hospitalized patients with severe Covid-19 pneumonia. N Engl J Med 2021; 384:1503.
- FDA. Fact sheet for health care providers. Emergency Use Authorization for Actemra (tocilizumab). June 2021. Available at: https://bit.ly/360BR4Q. Accessed July 8, 2021.
- The WHO Rapid Evidence Appraisal for COVID-19 Therapies (REACT) Working Group. Association between administration of IL-6 antagonists and mortality among patients hospitalized for COVID-19: a meta-analysis. JAMA 2021 July 6 (epub).
- Approximate WAC. WAC = wholesaler acquisition cost or manufacturer’s published price to wholesalers; WAC represents a published catalogue or list price and may not represent an actual transactional price. Source: AnalySource® Monthly. June 5, 2021. Reprinted with permission by First Databank, Inc. All rights reserved. ©2021. www.fdbhealth.com/policies/drug-pricing-policy.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.