The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
Drugs for Cognitive Loss and Dementia
August 22, 2022 (Issue: 1657)Alzheimer's disease (AD) is the most common cause of dementia, but cognitive decline is also associated with other neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease, dementia with Lewy bodies, vascular dementia, and frontotemporal dementia.
- DS Knopman et al. Alzheimer disease. Nat Rev Dis Primers 2021; 7:33.
- G Marucci et al. Efficacy of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors in Alzheimer's disease. Neuropharmacology 2021; 190:108352.
- A donepezil patch (Adlarity) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2022; 64:e128.
- RC Petersen et al. Vitamin E and donepezil for the treatment of mild cognitive impairment. N Engl J Med 2005; 352:2379.
- SL Rogers et al. A 24-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer's disease. Neurology 1998; 50:136.
- SL Rogers and LT Friedhoff. The efficacy and safety of donepezil in patients with Alzheimer's disease: results of a US multicentre, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Dementia 1996; 7:293.
- C Courtney et al. Long-term donepezil treatment in 565 patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD2000): randomised double-blind trial. Lancet 2004; 363:2105.
- MR Farlow et al. Effectiveness and tolerability of high-dose (23 mg/day) versus standard-dose (10 mg/day) donepezil in moderate to severe Alzheimer's disease: a 24-week, randomized, double-blind study. Clin Ther 2010; 32:1234.
- B Winblad et al. Donepezil in patients with severe Alzheimer's disease: double-blind, parallel-group, placebo-controlled study. Lancet 2006; 367:1057.
- SE Black et al. Donepezil preserves cognition and global function in patients with severe Alzheimer disease. Neurology 2007; 69:459.
- M Rolinski et al. Cholinesterase inhibitors for dementia with Lewy bodies, Parkinson's disease dementia and cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 3:CD006504.
- D Wilkinson et al. Donepezil in vascular dementia: a randomized, placebo-controlled study. Neurology 2003; 61:479.
- SK Yoon et al. Pharmacokinetic evaluation by modeling and simulation analysis of a donepezil patch formulation in healthy male volunteers. Drug Des Devel Ther 2020; 14:1729.
- Inhibitors and inducers of CYP enzymes, P-glycoprotein, and other transporters. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021 October 20 (epub). Available at: medicalletter.org/downloads/CYP_PGP_Tables.pdf.
- B Winblad et al. Safety and efficacy of galantamine in subjects with mild cognitive impairment. Neurology 2008; 70:2024.
- K Rockwood et al. Attainment of treatment goals by people with Alzheimer's disease receiving galantamine: a randomized controlled trial. CMAJ 2006; 174:1099.
- GK Wilcock et al. Efficacy and safety of galantamine in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease: multicentre randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2000; 321:1445.
- PN Tariot et al. A 5-month, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of galantamine in AD. Neurology 2000; 54:2269.
- K Hager et al. Effects of galantamine in a 2-year, randomized, placebo-controlled study in Alzheimer's disease. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2014; 10:391.
- K Hager et al. Effect of concomitant use of memantine on mortality and efficacy outcomes of galantamine-treated patients with Alzheimer's disease: post-hoc analysis of a randomized placebo-controlled study. Alzheimers Res Ther 2016; 8:47.
- T Erkinjuntti et al. Efficacy of galantamine in probable vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease combined with cerebrovascular disease: a randomised trial. Lancet 2002; 359:1283.
- R Bullock et al. Management of patients with Alzheimer's disease plus cerebrovascular disease: 12-month treatment with galantamine. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 2004; 17:29.
- HH Feldman et al. Effect of rivastigmine on delay to diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease from mild cognitive impairment: the InDDEx study. Lancet Neurol 2007; 6:501.
- JS Birks et al. Rivastigmine for Alzheimer's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015; 9:CD001191.
- B Winblad et al. A six-month double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study of a transdermal patch in Alzheimer's disease – rivastigmine patch versus capsule. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 2007; 22:456.
- MR Farlow et al. A 24-week, randomized, controlled trial of rivastigmine patch 13.3 mg/24 h versus 4.6 mg/24 h in severe Alzheimer's dementia. CNS Neurosci Ther 2013; 19:745.
- E Mamikonyan et al. Rivastigmine for mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson disease: a placebo-controlled study. Mov Disord 2015; 30:912.
- I McKeith et al. Efficacy of rivastigmine in dementia with Lewy bodies: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled international study. Lancet 2000; 356:2031.
- C Ballard et al. Efficacy, safety and tolerability of rivastigmine capsules in patients with probable vascular dementia: the VantagE study. Curr Med Res Opin 2008; 24:2561.
- H Xu et al. Long-term effects of cholinesterase inhibitors on cognitive decline and mortality. Neurology 2021; 96:e2220.
- PT Francis et al. Rationale for combining glutamatergic and cholinergic approaches in the symptomatic treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Expert Rev Neurother 2012; 12:1351.
- R McShane et al. Memantine for dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2019; 3:CD003154.
- AP Porsteinsson et al. Memantine treatment in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease already receiving a cholinesterase inhibitor: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Curr Alzheimer Res 2008; 5:83.
- PN Tariot et al. Memantine treatment in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer disease already receiving donepezil: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2004; 291:317.
- R Howard et al. Donepezil and memantine for moderate-to-severe Alzheimer's disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:893.
- JM Orgogozo et al. Efficacy and safety of memantine in patients with mild to moderate vascular dementia: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial (MMM 300). Stroke 2002; 33:1834.
- G Wilcock et al. A double-blind, placebo-controlled multicentre study of memantine in mild to moderate vascular dementia (MMM500). Int Clin Psychopharmacol 2002; 17:297.
- HF Wang et al. Efficacy and safety of cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine in cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease, Parkinson's disease dementia, and dementia with Lewy bodies: systematic review with meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2015; 86:135.
- Aducanumab (Aduhelm) for Alzheimer's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:105.
- GC Alexander et al. Revisiting FDA approval of aducanumab. N Engl J Med 2021; 385:769.
- J Stephenson. Medicare to cover controversial Alzheimer disease drug only in clinical trials. JAMA Health Forum 2022; 3:e220048.
- S Salloway et al. Amyloid-related imaging abnormalities in 2 phase 3 studies evaluating aducanumab in patients with early Alzheimer disease. JAMA Neurol 2022; 79:13.
- SB Haeberlein et al. Two randomized phase 3 studies of aducanumab in early Alzheimer's disease. J Prev Alzheimers Dis 2022; 9:197.
- J Cummings et al. Aducanumab: appropriate use recommendations. J Prev Alzheimers Dis 2021; 8:398.
- VI Reus et al. The American Psychiatric Association practice guideline on the use of antipsychotics to treat agitation or psychosis in patients with dementia. Am J Psychiatry 2016; 173:543.
- DL Sultzer et al. Clinical symptom responses to atypical antipsychotic medications in Alzheimer's disease: phase 1 outcomes from the CATIE-AD effectiveness trial. Am J Psychiatry 2008; 165:844.
- Drugs for Parkinson's disease. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:25.
- PN Tariot et al. Trial of pimavanserin in dementia-related psychosis. N Engl J Med 2021; 385:309.
- HC Liu et al. Extrapyramidal side-effect due to drug combination of risperidone and donepezil. Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 2002; 56:479.
- CLP Vigen et al. Cognitive effects of atypical antipsychotic medications in patients with Alzheimer's disease: outcomes from CATIE-AD. Am J Psychiatry 2011; 168:831.
- DP Seitz et al. Antidepressants for agitation and psychosis in dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2011; 2:CD008191.
- AP Porsteinsson et al. Effect of citalopram on agitation in Alzheimer disease: the CitAD randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 311:682.
- Dextromethorphan/quinidine (Nuedexta) for pseudobulbar affect. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2011; 53:46.
- JL Cummings et al. Effect of dextromethorphan-quinidine on agitation in patients with Alzheimer disease dementia: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2015; 314:1242.
- MW Dysken et al. Effect of vitamin E and memantine on functional decline in Alzheimer disease: the TEAM-AD VA cooperative randomized trial. JAMA 2014; 311:33.
- RJ Kryscio et al. Association of antioxidant supplement use and dementia in the prevention of Alzheimer's disease by vitamin E and selenium trial (PREADViSE). JAMA Neurol 2017; 74:567.
- LS Schneider et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of two doses of Ginkgo biloba extract in dementia of the Alzheimer's type. Curr Alzheimer Res 2005; 2:541.
- BE Snitz et al. Ginkgo biloba for preventing cognitive decline in older adults: a randomized trial. JAMA 2009; 302:2663.
- B Vellas et al. Long-term use of standardized Ginkgo biloba extract for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease (GuidAge): a randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 2012; 11:851.
- Apoaequorin (Prevagen) to improve memory. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2021; 63:175.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.