The Medical Letter on Drugs and Therapeutics
- Treatment of Common Respiratory Tract Infections
- In Brief: Cardiovascular Outcomes with Bempedoic Acid (Nexletol)
- COVID-19 Update: Pfizer Bivalent Vaccine Booster Dose for Children 6 Months to 4 Years Old
- Capmatinib (Tabrecta) for NSCLC (online only)
- Cemiplimab (Libtayo) for NSCLC (online only)
- Futibatinib (Lytgobi) for Cholangiocarcinoma (online only)
- In Brief: A New Indication for Pemigatinib (Pemazyre) (online only)
- In Brief: Retifanlimab (Zynyz) for Merkel Cell Carcinoma (online only)
- In Brief: Dabrafenib (Tafinlar) and Trametinib (Mekinist) for Glioma (online only)
- In Brief: Olaparib (Lynparza) for High-Risk Early Breast Cancer (online only)
Treatment of Common Respiratory Tract Infections
April 17, 2023 (Issue: 1674)Most respiratory tract infections are caused by viruses. Bacterial respiratory tract infections are usually treated empirically with antibiotic therapy that targets the most probable causative pathogens. Recommended antibiotic regimens for...more
- ST Shulman et al. Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis: 2012 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 55:1279. doi:10.1093/cid/cis847
- GP DeMuri et al. Macrolide and clindamycin resistance in group A streptococci isolated from children with pharyngitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2017; 36:342. doi:10.1097/inf.0000000000001442
- CDC. Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States, 2019. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, CDC; 2019. Available at: https://bit.ly/3LTYOwM. Accessed March 30, 2023.
- AW Chow et al. IDSA clinical practice guideline for acute bacterial rhinosinusitis in children and adults. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 54:e72. doi:10.1093/cid/cir1043
- RM Rosenfeld et al. Clinical practice guideline (update): adult sinusitis executive summary. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2015; 152:598. doi:10.1177/0194599815574247
- AM Harris et al. Appropriate antibiotic use for acute respiratory tract infection in adults: advice for high-value care from the American College of Physicians and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ann Intern Med 2016; 164:425. doi:10.7326/m15-1840
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA advises restricting fluoroquinolone antibiotic use for certain uncomplicated infections; warns about disabling side effects that can occur together. May 12, 2016. Available at: http://bit.ly/3LKT7Bc. Accessed March 30, 2023.
- RJ Zagursky and ME Pichichero. Cross-reactivity in β-lactam allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract 2018; 6:72. doi:10.1016/j.jaip.2017.08.027
- R Kaur et al. Dynamic changes in otopathogens colonizing the nasopharynx and causing acute otitis media in children after 13-valent (PCV-13) pneumococcal conjugate vaccination during 2015-2019. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 2022; 41:37. doi:10.1007/s10096-021-04324-0
- ER Wald and GP DeMuri. Antibiotic recommendations for acute otitis media and acute bacterial sinusitis: conundrum no more. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2018; 37:1255. doi:10.1097/inf.0000000000002009
- AS Lieberthal et al. Clinical practice guideline: the diagnosis and management of acute otitis media. Pediatrics 2013; 131:e964. doi:10.1542/peds.2012-3488
- ME Pichichero. Considering an otitis media antibiotic change. J Pediatr 2020; 222:253. doi:10.1016/j.jpeds.2020.04.021
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. 2023 GOLD report. Global strategy for prevention, diagnosis and management of COPD: 2023 report. Available at: https://bit.ly/42KEJyV. Accessed March 30, 2023.
- Adult immunization. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2022; 64:161.
- JP Metlay et al. Diagnosis and treatment of adults with community-acquired pneumonia. An official clinical practice guideline of the American Thoracic Society and Infectious Diseases Society of America. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2019; 200:e45. doi:10.1164/rccm.201908-1581st
- RL Woosley et al. QT drugs list. Available at: www.crediblemeds.org. Accessed December 15, 2022.
- JS Bradley et al. The management of community-acquired pneumonia in infants and children older than 3 months of age: clinical practice guidelines by the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2011; 53:e25. doi:10.1093/cid/cir531
- GS Tansarli and E Mylonakis. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the efficacy of short-course antibiotic treatments for community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2018; 62:e00635-18. doi:10.1128/aac.00635-18
- Delafloxacin (Baxdela) – a new fluoroquinolone antibiotic. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:49.
- Omadacycline (Nuzyra) – a new tetracycline antibiotic. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:74.
- Lefamulin (Xenleta) for community-acquired bacterial pneumonia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2019; 61:145.
- Corticosteroids in community-acquired pneumonia. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2020; 62:7.
- FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA review finds additional data supports the potential for increased long-term risks with antibiotic clarithromycin (Biaxin) in patients with heart disease. February 22, 2018. Available at: https://bit.ly/3omrXlH. Accessed March 30, 2023.
- In brief: More fluoroquinolone warnings. Med Lett Drugs Ther 2018; 60:136.
The Medical Letter is a subscriber-funded nonprofit organization that publishes critical appraisals of new prescription drugs and comparative reviews of drugs for common diseases.